Tuesday, June 17

A Man for All Seasons

I have decided that I can not completely make any lasting political decisions.  I dunno that I can even make a decision or barring statement for my entire life.  I can not wholly embrace Pacifism, nor can I totally brandish the saber.  

Can war ever be just?  Peace for peace's sake makes no sense either.  

Instead, I must be a man for all seasons.  

Eccl 3 says:


 1 There is a time for everything, 
       and a season for every activity under heaven:

 2 a time to be born and a time to die, 
       a time to plant and a time to uproot,

 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, 
       a time to tear down and a time to build,

 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, 
       a time to mourn and a time to dance,

 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, 
       a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

 6 a time to search and a time to give up, 
       a time to keep and a time to throw away,

 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, 
       a time to be silent and a time to speak,

 8 a time to love and a time to hate, 
       a time for war and a time for peace.


It is the Phrase "Under Heaven" that has me thinking.  All these things are under the guidance of one who is really in control, bringing all things under His foot, to the glory of Him.  I should strive for peace, but should I make peace my only option?

Is this a subject that is so cut and dry, either black or white?

If you know me, then you know my love for CS Lewis, and I am indebted to his essay, "Why I am not a Pacifist". But Lewis wrote during and after World War 2, when the evil seemed so apparent, so real.  Can we equate the time and struggles, politically, economically, and socially, to those felt by that generation?  I don't think so and really think that we should examine the times we live in and stop looking for signs, those reminders of things we already experienced and possibly already found the answer to.

All this to say, not sure which button I'll push in November, not sure if I'll even enter a booth.  But I will not make my decision based on who is the lesser of two evils.  I cannot vote on party lines, or on the same issues I voted on last election.  Instead, I'll look for direction from the One in Heaven.


No comments: