Friday, June 6

Huntington, Part 1

So, this past week I was out in Huntington, IN, for the UB History Seminar... which means nothign to anyone else unless they are going through ordination in the UB.  Which I am, by the way.  Here are some pics from my trip which I hope will explain what it is I did out there.













So, this is me driving somewhere near Akron, OH.  I don;t know if you can see them, but there are smashed bugs, all to pieces, all over my windshield.  This ride was like the highway of death... there are dead deer all over the place.  The carnage was immense.  There were raccoons, ground hogs, and one gigantic dog (which may have actually been a polar bear).  It was crazy gross out there.













And here I am driving through Akron.  Now, I know you are wondering why I would try to take a picture while I am driving.  Well, how often do you drive by the World Headquarters of GoodYear???












This would be where I stayed on Huntington's campus, Miller Hall.  It was very nice, and dormish.  I won't tell you how fast I got there, but I made good time.  














And here's the room I stayed in.  I tried to model after the various dorm rooms I had been in, since I had never had the pleasure of living in one.  Notice the laptop is in the up and on position?  Good Bless the Mac.












While I was out there I got to hang out with Joel, a friend of mine from the camp days.  He lives in the house there, in Huntington, and rides a bike.  Great guy.  We had a good time... definitely needed as I was bored most of my stay in Huntington... there are no mountains and missed them immensely.  There's a hollowness to the noise out there, and everything just carries.   I got some help from a guy out in Huntington who suggested I think of the clouds as reference points for mountain peaks... but only in the Alps can mountains get and stay that white.  Its such a weird feeling, the MidWest.  I commented to a friend of mine that it was like God had picked me up and placed me in a vast place of desolation.  For miles you can see, and yet so far from the ocean.  

Joel helped alieve my mountain-sickness.  

No comments: