Saturday, March 8

I'm dodging!

I subbed for middle school gym yesterday, and awesome!  First off, yes, I do sub as a gym teacher.  I know you're thinking my physical acumen would just show up the kids, but never worry.  And, also, yes I have the proper attire.  Need I remind you that I have run a marathon recently?  And, on that note, no, I d not wear those really short shorts.  

I will say that gym in middle school is a struggle.  Well, I can only speak for the boys... I'm sure the girls are just darling.  The guys are growing and becoming men, but not very well at this point.  Yesterday their arms were a little more in proportion to their bodies.  And some are just giants compared to others.  And, God help us, they're watching and trying to mimic EVERYTHING they see on TV.  If they can watch some guy jump like Superman and make a basket, well then there will be at least five guys who try it in a middle school gym class.  And of course, there are those who are much better at basketball than others, present company included.  But there seems to be a missing synapse that encourages immediate learning.  
Example:  If I cannot dunk the ball from any point, jumping like Superman does not guarantee success.  
Example: If the ball is leaving my hand like a shotgun, with no arch and no spin, and I haven't made a basket yet, then I probably need to stop shooting like that.
Example:  If I run into someone much bigger than me and they do not budge and I end up on the floor, I might need to move around him next time.  

And, as any middle school teacher will tell you, there is an unnecessary amount of arguing.  I obviously must have blinked because I missed that basket, and now its my fault that the yellow team is losing... despite the fact that the yellow teams has an average of 4/10, while the other team has a 9/10 avg.  Oh the unwonton pride of the middle school male.

This however, does not darken my spirit, because earlier I helped with the Special Needs class, and I had a great day.  I am amazed every time I help with this type of class.  Its such an encouragement to see how they interact.  They genuinely care for each other.  I had guys who just needed help getting dressed, and there were some helping to put shirts on, and those willingly asking for help.  Incredible.  It looks so counter what we think middle school boys should be like.  Its not a "sense" of community, it actually is.

And we played Dodge Ball, which is the greatest game ever in the minds of these kids.  They love it!  And I loved watching it... oh the scenes that just make you want to laugh.  Not because of the seemingly inane things these kids will do (to love at these would just be mean-spirited), but because of how much fun they're having and how innocent they are.  My favourite moment, that I hope expresses my point is this:

"Mike" is awesome.  He had been playing some hardcore Dodge Ball, and he was abel to stay in for a long time each game.  Well, as we were beginning the last game, he had a great idea.  We were playing in the back gym, where the wrestling team practices.  And so, their large mats were rolled up and put on the side.  I was watching the game when I heard, to my right, a voice calling out, "I'm dodging!  I'm dodging the ball!"  And there was "Mike" crouched down behind the wrestling mat, head down and covered in arms.  How great!  He thought he had beat the system!  You just don't find this greatness, this innocence in the general population.  

May God grant me this encouragement often enough to know that I need it, but not so much that I become numb to it.

No comments: