Monday, September 10

A Question on Shakespeare...

I ran across this article at BBC.com questioning the idea that Shakespeare wrote all of the sonnets and plays which are accredited to him. This is not the first time I had heard such a thing, but that does not soften the blow.
Why couldn't have he?
Well, there are two arguments which bother me from this article (I have placed the link below so youc an read it for yourself):
1) It is claimed that no single man could have written the amount of work he did so flawlessly.
-Well, why not question it. If a God could not have written the Bible how could one mortal have written such a wonderful body of work? It is not possible! Futhermore, I think from this line of argument you would count it up as heresy to believe that Shakespeare could write so well and God could not! I mean, if modern man could not do it, how could this guy in the 1600's do it! Madness to think so highly of someone who does not have the technology or education that we do. Are we really this violently proud of ourselves?
I'm really quite worried about where this leads us. Who is next to be quetsioned based on these standards. What we are really doing is lowering the bar as far as the past and idolizing ourselves as the crowning jewel of humanity and what a shame that would be.

2) It is also argued that it could not be his work because the same language he used while writing in pentameters was not used in other writings... like his will.
Well, I am telling you, brother, that if my will is not laced with ym mis-spellings, and my use of the active voice, throw it out! Its a forgery!
Why would anyone, I mean anyone, use thier playwright/poet voice to compose a will? Does this proof anything except Shakepeare knew when to wrote poetry and when to write prose! If I meet him in heaven and he is not speaking in measured iambic pentameter, I'll greatly question everything i know about him.
Gits! These arguments are made by actors. If they are not acting a part at all times, even off the stage, can we assume they are terrible on the stage?

I would never assume to know the honest truth as to whether or not Shakespeare wrote all of his work, but I think this questioning of authority is most things is obviously leading to a dillusionment of questions to be asked. At least, ask intelligent questions based on fact, not on the hunches of human prowess, or the availability of time clocks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6985917.stm

No comments: