Tuesday, June 30

Please, be advised of the cops in the area. Given the chance they will ruin your family's vacation

Last night at the Hilton, two guests approached my co-worker and I at the front desk and asked us if we we knew of all the speed traps in the area. I answered that we knew that the cops were usually around. From our vantage point on top of the hill we can see flaching lights most nights as they target nearby 322.

"Well," the guest continues, "you should really warn people. My wife got pulled over down the hill here doing 55 in a 35 - it can really ruin a family vacation."

This took me by surprise. Not really sure how to respond, I apologized (kind of) by telling them that it was unfortunate. But, seriously? When do I have to remind people to follow the law? Its not my responsibilty, nor is it a kindness or a function of hospitatlity to make people aware of the places where they could get caught by not following the law. I generally do not expect people to break the law. If I told people of these traps, wouldn't it be a bit demeaning, as if I'm expecting them to break the law? Or, it would reveal my heart as someone who probably does break teh law a bit and need to point out to otheres where they could get caught.

To this gentleman, I had played a part in ruining their family vacation by not having a low expectation for their behaviour, or trusting that they could read signs along the highway. If they had known that the policeman was going to be there, they would have had the decency to slow down before they were in radar range.

Sorry, my bad, New Jersey couple. Next time, I promise not to expect too much.

No comments: