Tuesday, February 5

40 crazy days and nights

I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm secure enough to let you know this...

I'm giving up soda for Lent.

Dah dah daaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!

I worry that I am way to attached to my little dark friend.  How do I know I am a little too attached?  Well, I find myself pining and longing, my palms get sweaty, and I look forward to the time when I can put that aluminum edge to my lips and taking a sip.  

I know, sick.  
And so here is my thought to kick off my Lenten adventure: freedom.  
I do not want to give up coke because I know it will take pounds off of me (this I remember from last year) nor do I do this because of some knowledge of its harm to my teeth (I usually drink tea instead, anyway).  I do it because I want nothing to stand in my way as I pursue Christ-likeness.  Is it a sin I want to get rid of?  If I choose Coke over Christ, than yes.  Do my palms sweat in anticipation of Christ more than when I need a Coke?  Do I look forward to my time with Him as much as I look forward to my Coke habit?  I long for freedom.  I want nothing to hold me back from the race that stretches before me.  

No comments: